It's late and I should be thinking about going to bed. Or at least doing something productive like prepping for my card class. However, I keep getting held up by thoughts about this day. Eight years ago today I was involved in a serious car accident. I was driving south on I-15, coming home from a weekend in Logan. My friend Natasha, who was from Russia but was studying here, was in the car with me. I don't remember much about the day, except there was a light drizzle coming down and more significantly, that it was the day I was given a second chance.
A driver who was going north hydroplaned and came across the median to hit me head-on. I can't recall any of the details because I lost consciousness. I've only been able to put the pieces together because Natasha remained awake and told me later. As the car flew across to my side of the freeway (I was in the middle lane), I screamed, "what is that car doing?"
It hit us and my side of the car received the majority of the damage. The steering column was in my lap and the pedals were crushed around my ankles. The airbags deployed and the windshield was shattered. My first memory was waking up and trying to focus on the windshield and wondering why it was cracked. I lapsed in and out of consciousness from that point on. The 'jaws of life' eventually extracted me from the car.A witness that stopped asked if she could call someone for me. I gave her my parents number (again, I don't remember this & find it strange that I could recall this information while not being conscious.) Something happened with the connection and all that person could relay to my mom was that I had been in an accident at the point of the mountain. Mom spent the next hour contacting police, hospitals, etc. to find out what had happened and if I was okay. At some point she was given the information that one person in that accident had been life flighted to the University of Utah hospital.
That person was me. I had awakened for a few moments while I was on a stretcher in the ambulance & I recall Natasha across from me on her stretcher. The veil was thin. I can't state anyone specific that was watching over me, but I know several were. At some point the helicopter arrived and I was hefted up into it. It's too bad I lost consciousness again because it would be cool to see that view.
I have another brief memory of being carted off the roof into the hospital. An array of tests were administered. They cut my clothes off me. A lady in the ER, who must have been a social worker, tried to console me by saying that although they had to cut off my garments I would still be protected. I kept asking about Natasha and wanted to know if she was alright. They called her (she had been taken by ambulance to Timpanogos hospital) and I was able to talk to her & felt relief that she seemed fine (with the exception of a few bruises). When someone was putting me through the CAT scan I came to and remained alert from that point on.
By this time my mom had arrived with my little brother and sister. My Dad was away on business, but had already arranged to take the next flight home. The hour drive north was tense and worrisome as they still did not have a full report on my injuries or health. When they passed my car on the freeway & saw it getting hooked up to the tow truck, they had assumed the worst. Much to their relief I was now receiving congratulatory news from the nurses, "Wow! It must be your lucky day!" "I've never seen anyone come out of an accident like that with so few injuries." "The highway patrolman who came on to the scene assumed you were dead. It's amazing."I needed stitches in my ankle and both were sprained pretty bad, but other than that I only had minor abrasions on my face from the airbag. I stayed in the hospital one night just as a precautionary measure. My poor mom spent the night on an uncomfortable chair but I'm really grateful she was by my side. I felt a closeness to my Heavenly Father that night like I have never experienced. It was as if he was rocking me back to sleep each time I awoke due to being in pain, uncomfortable or having my vitals checked. He wanted me to know that He was aware of me and I knew it as His love blanketed me all night. He could have taken me that day so easily. It wasn't my time. Since then my life has been enriched through my husband and the gift of my darling son, along with countless memories and lessons along the way--I'm so grateful for these things & time I've been given. All it takes is a recollection of this day to remember what a miracle life is. Indeed, a miracle full of ups, downs, struggles, frustrations but most of all joy!
Wednesday, March 5
This day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
I remember this day so well too. Especially when I got the phone call from Mom. It was a miracle for us all to be praying for you and see how everything turned out.
So glad that you were okay and able to find your way to our neighborhood!
Oh, Mariah! Wow, your car looks awful! What a blessing for you to be alive. I loved reading the spiritual end of your accident. It would be nice to be able to get a glimpse sometimes as to how close the other side is and who might be watching over us! Thanks for sharing your sweet experience with us.
Wow! I'm so, so glad that you were watched over that day. What a wonderful reminder of how important it is to live each day to the fullest!
Wow! I cried all the way through this post. I'm so glad you survived and didn't have any lasting damage.
That is so shocking to see. I am so glad that you were watched over during this horrific event in your life. This post makes me count my blessings.
So glad you were ok! I agree with Tennille...experiences like that make us grateful for each day we are given.
Wow. I am thankful you were okay! You are a blessing to everyone around you :-)
Wow. I am thankful you were okay! You are a blessing to everyone around you :-)
I also remember the day I got the call about your accident. I was so scared. I remember coming to visit you at your parents home and trying to act casual about how bruised and swollen you were. I'm so glad you weren't taken that day!! You are so wonderful:)
Just hearing about car accidents gives me axiety and stress. I can't beleive the pics of your
car :0 So glad he watched over and protected you. Laurie's exactly right, you are a blessing to everyone around you!
What an amazing story, I'm so glad everything worked out for you.
When reading this, I at first thought, "I don't want to recall this. It was horrible." But as I read, I remembered all the miracles and felt the gratitude all over again. You are a miracle, girl!
Post a Comment