The other day I was desperately behind in my housework. I was needing to vacuum, mop, fold laundry and the list goes on and on. So, of course when I got the sudden craving for cinnamon rolls I headed right to the kitchen and got to work. I had never tried this recipe before, but I've learned over and over that nothing in this cookbook will disappoint. Right again, thank you America's test kitchen!
Truth is, I've always been intimidated by cinnamon rolls. The yeast part is scary & waiting for them to rise entails more patience than I usually have in one day. This recipe had no yeast and no instruction for rising, so I knew I was in business. YOU MUST TRY THIS RECIPE! Superb, quick, delicious cinnamon rolls. From start to putting a warm Cinnabon like morsel in my mouth was nearly 80 minutes. That still gave me plenty of time for housework :)
The next time you need a diversion, here's a great way to fill your time (& tummy).QUICK CINNAMON BUNS
Melted butter is used in both the filling and the dough. Melt the total amount (7 tablespoons) all at once in a heatproof measuring cup, then use it in the amounts called for below.
FILLING:
3/4 C. packed dark brown sugar
1/4 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
DOUGH:
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
2 Tbs. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 C. buttermilk
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
GLAZE:
3 Tbs. cream cheese, softened
3 Tbs. buttermilk
1 1/2 C. confectioners' sugar
1. Heat oven to 425. Coat a 9-inch nonstick round cake pan and wire cooling rack with vegetable oil spray.
2. Combine all ingredients for filling in a medium bowl and mix until it resembles wet sand.
3. For the dough: mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the buttermilk and 2 Tbs. of the melted butter together. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until absorbed, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
4. Press dough into a 9x12 rectangle with your hands. Brush dough with 2 Tbs. of melted butter. Sprinkle the dough evenly with the filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
5. Loosen the dough from the counter using a spatula. Starting at the long side, roll the dough, pressing lightly, to form a tight log. Pinch the seam to seal. Slice the dough into 8 pieces and place in prepared pan. {I have to interrupt and say here that this is my favorite part because I do what my mom always did and use dental floss the cut the rolls. Just hold one end in each hand and cross them and then pull. It's perfect every time and they don't get squished like a knife will sometimes cause.} Brush with the remaining melted butter, about 2 Tbs. Bake until the edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
6. Use a knife to loosen the buns from the pan. Flip the buns out onto the prepared cooling rack, then turn upright and let cool for 5 min. before glazing.
7. For the glaze: set the rack of buns over a sheet of newspaper or parchment paper (for easy clean-up). Whisk the cream cheese and buttermilk together in a large bowl until thick and smooth. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the mixture (I just poured it in) and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds. Spoon the glaze evenly over the warm buns.Enjoy! My only recommendation would be to let the glaze sit for some time before spreading it. We found the glaze we used on the buns the day after tasted a lot better.
Wednesday, May 28
A diversion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Girl..you know I'm gonna try these babies.....lol
I need to clean my house today but this sounds like a better alternative :) Can't wait to try.
Wow, that looks so good right now! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for posting it!
YUMMY! I think you've about got me convinced to purchase that cookbook! - I love to find one that is a keeper!
Yum!! Thanks for posting it!!
Post a Comment