Monday, November 5

Day 16; Go Embryos

It's really odd when I think about it too hard--that some of my future children are lying in a petrie dish right now. It boggles ones mind, really. Alas, thank goodness for modern technology! The embryologist called yesterday to confirm that 7 of the 8 original were fertilized and 7 more matured in time to also get fertilized. That was a shocker...I thought 8 was plenty! It's good news because we can freeze what we don't use and implant them later. Our doctor will only be implanting 2 embryos, so don't get your head all in a tizzy about us and the possibility of quads or something crazy. Trust me, that would not be good for my sanity (on the edge as it is already).

The downside of that is that he's still worried about hyperstimulation. Because there was so much going on in my little ovaries, they are swollen and overworked. With the additional hormones that will come with a pregnancy, that could worsen and cause problems. The transfer is scheduled for tomorrow at 1:00 pm. He'll do an ultrasound before and may still make the decision to let this cycle go and implant at a later date. This procedure is not as invasive as Saturday's, I just need to take valium for this and will be awake for it. He has already mapped the size and shape of my uterus and knows exactly where to implant the embryos for prime growth & attachment. I'll also be on bedrest for 2-3 days to give them plenty of time to stick. I guess if he makes the decision not to transfer, I'll get a lovely, relaxed afternoon under the influence of valium. Ha Ha. Everyone cross your fingers and say a little prayer for me. I'm really hoping to go through with this tomorrow.

Thank you for all your thoughts and encouraging comments. It really means a lot to me that I've got so many people cheering for me! Go embryos...stick, stick, stick!

8 comments:

campbell said...

I never thought I would say this to you wither but go embryos. I was also wondering if you made the decision or did the Dr. to only implant 2 embryos. I guess every Dr. is different.

J Glazier said...

I'm definately cheering you on! Double Crossies tomorrow!

Mariah said...

Yes, every doctor is different. Our dr's policy is only 2, sometimes 3 in rare cases. He wants to avoid the risks that come with multiple births as much as possible.

Juliana said...

Best of luck. Do you need someone to bring in dinner for your family the next few days?

Let me know.

Heather said...

Good Luck! Let me know if you need any help. : )

Anonymous said...

I am not asking but telling you that I am bringing dinner on Wednesday! Plan on 6

Anonymous said...

Your mom just gave me this sight so I could keep up on the current event. Hope all goes well and my prayers are with you.

Laura Lee said...

Wow I'm so impressed with how many eggs fertilized that is so exciting. We have already had this conversation but make sure that you lay down. Shelley Pierce was told to not even talk on the phone. So that might even take out blogging. No seriously I'm very happy for you!