Monday, September 14

The tale of mono: a love story

(That was then -- one of my favorite wedding photos)

Many summers ago, I contracted mononucleosis. Not sure how or where, but it ravaged my body's immune system until I had an ear infection, sinus infection and glands the size of pears. In two words: not pleasant. Just weeks prior I had become the focus of a certain young man's attention. We had hung out, played games, enjoyed a laser show, played soccer & talked of more. Although it was all fun, I wasn't sure. We had long sprung from high school and were both post-mission, so it was a no-brainer that more serious commitments might come of it. But it's a weighty decision to be sure, & I wasn't.

I loved being with him, don't get me wrong. We enjoyed similar interests and very soon after our first official date we were spending nearly every minute together. However, I was still treading the waters of this new endeavor with trepidation.

Then the mono came. It was miserable. I was so sick and doctors kept giving me things to help, but they didn't.

Help came in an entirely different form, aiming at an entirely different ailment. This guy I was dating would call and ask if I needed anything. He'd stop on the way home from work and purchase whatever it was. He spent time in my condo cleaning and unloading the dishwasher. It was soon evident that the mono would run its course and I would be fine, & more importantly my unsure heart was ready to run the course of love that was begging for it.

Those days and weeks revealed to me what kind of man Michael was. He would take care of me, he would give & give, he would nurture & life would never be about him.

At 7 years today, being Michael's wife has been just as I thought.

Thank you, mono for making me sure and thank you, Michael for making it real.

(This is now)

7 comments:

Juliana said...

So sweet! Made me tear up!

Becky Rose said...

cool story. I need one of those.

Wendi said...

That's a great story. Sorry you were so sick. But that sure was a neat silver lining that came from it. :) Thanks for sharing.

Ben said...

Happy anniversary, guys!!! Hope you're day has been a great one.
Sweet post, Mariah.

meleah said...

Oh,I love your story! It made me want to cry. What a wonderful brother in law I have!! Thanks Micheal for taking care of my sister!

Unknown said...

I love this story Mariah! What a great guy you have and I love having him as my brother-in-law.

Unknown said...

ooops, sorry. This is anissa. I guess Braden was using the computer last :)